Thursday, June 3, 2010

Motherhood is...

I was leant a recipe book, you know one of those ones done by a preschool for mothers day, and I found a poem a really liked (and related to!)...


Today I left some dishes dirty

The bed I made at 3.30

The nappies soaked a little longer

The odour grew a little stronger

The crumbs I spilt the day before

Are staring at me from the floor (or in my house... "she is now eating off the floor!)

The fingerprints there on the wall

Will likely still be there next fall

The dirty streaks on the window panes

will still be there next time it rains

"Shame on you lazy bones" I say

"And just what have you done today?"

I nursed a baby till he slept

I held a toddler while he wept

I played a game of hide and seek

I squeezed a toy so it would squeak

I pulled a wagon, sang a song

Taught a child right from wrong

What did I do this whole day long?

Not much that shows, I guess it's true

Unless you think what I have done

might be important to someone

with bright blue eyes and soft blonde hair

If that is true,

I've done my share


I really liked this poem, because it is all too true that it can look like you have achieved nothing in a day... when in fact you have been non stop!!


Today for example. Some days I know Butterfly is feeling sick/teethy/in pain, so I say to her, "I know you need me today. I will be extra patient for you sweetie"... it might sound super lame, but simply saying that positive affirmation out loud makes it easier to cope during the day. Today she was really grumpy, crying for (seemingly) no reason, wanting early bed, extra boobies, to be carried ALL day long. And I didn't mind at all. There is something super satisfying about being there for your child when they need you the most. I was rewarded with VERY big cuddles and kisses this evening.


So we actually didn't physically get much done today, but I am EXHAUSTED!
Click HERE for a link to a great blog about positive affirmations for peaceful parenting! Have a read, I believe it really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment