Thursday, July 15, 2010

The simple things...

So I had a GREAT day with Butterfly today!!


We had swimming lessons on this morning, and she did SO well, I let go of her under the water and she pulled herself up on my shirt! YAY! She is finally learning some skills that will help her if she ever gets into trouble around water (she started lessons at 4 months old). She LOVES swimming lessons, today her splashing was so exhuberant we all ended up with chlorine in our eyes!


This afternoon I was hanging out the washing... Butterfly was cruising around the backyard and handing me pegs as usual. Instead of scooping her up as soon as we were done, I took inspiration from one of my new favourite bloggers, the Nontox Soapbox, and sat down to play with my bubba. She handed me a "present" as she often does, and instead of thanking her and throwing it away as usual, I inspected it... it looked like a rock, but was a hard bit of mud with lots of interesting things embedded in it if you looked closely. Sometimes it is beautiful to see the world through your child's eyes... everything is a wonder to them! A grubby rock to us is, to them, an interesting object with a new texture, feel, composition.




We then sat together with the peg basket and poked them into the air conditioning unit to make interesting patterns, and then ran them up and down to make funny noises. Butterfly was having so much fun, she was "dancing" to the sound of the pegs and laughing when pegs fell out! She seemed so happy to share it with me, and I had fun watching her have fun.




Later on we baked chocolate cupcakes together, Butterfly LOVES to help me cook! I gave her a spoon so she could help me mix, she loves to stir the goop! She isn't a fan of the electric beaters (she makes me pick her up when they are on) but she IS a fan of licking the bowl!




My bubba also helped me wash up... actually I was trying to do it alone but she wanted to get involved, so I perched her on the sink and she had a ball! The warm water... the sponge... the tap... it was all a bunch of fun! Took me a lot longer than usual as she kept putting the clean items back in the water, but was worth it!




Needless to say the evening bath was required early...




Would have been a perfect day, only this evening her baby monitor turned off for some reason (maybe one of the cats bumped it??), and by the time I heard her crying and got to her the poor dear was beside herself! Tears streaming down her cheeks and she was sobbing. Broke my heart! Who knows how long she'd been calling for me?? Stupid monitor, I'm checking it every minute now...






No comments:

Post a Comment